NEWS AND IDEAS
This page collects news items relevant to our circumstances in AQMA5 and some just for interest! "NEW" items are marked.
You can find official guidance and rules on "Official Documents" page.
"Greenstreet Observer" - Under Development (mock newspaper summarising articles of interest)
- Cleaner Air for Schoolkids - Toolkit. A good starting place for Parents, Teachers and Governors to try and make a difference.
- Royal Horticultural Society Short guide to Urban trees and hedges to reduce pollution.
More hedging choices from the RHS - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=351.
- Moss Walls Experiment - using their figures, we would need 2.8km of moss walls in Greenstreet to match the throughput of polluting diesel vehicles (cars and LGVs) - this assumes the flow of traffic is constant and equal along the length of Greenstreet - so my estimate is actually a very optimistic estimation!
- Pollutionwatch: why efforts to tackle air pollution can backfire. New laws can have unforeseen consequences so it is vital to regularly track progress. (Gary Fuller reporting in The Guardian on 29 Aug 2019). Email shared with neighbours and Residents on 31st August 2019.
- KM Group Reports on halt to new Housing Developments - Maidstone KCC and Highways England. 29th May 2019.
- GOV.UK Press release (PDF): 14th May 2019: Boost for housing market as Japan’s biggest house builder, Sekisui House, moves into UK. Off-site prefabrication techniques
- The commitment of SBC Council Leader, Councillor Andrew Bowles, to support a massive "one hit wonder" between the Science Park and Bapchild.
- Caerphilly - cut "harm" by demolishing homes in exceedance areas!: "Buying and demolishing the 23 houses and businesses, which would cost about £4.5m, would make Caerphilly council clean air compliant on Woodside Terrace by 2023." (27th March 2019).
- Air Quality Expert Group (AQEG) - Non-Exhaust Emissions (NEE) from Road Traffic - BBC or read the Executive Summary or Full 93-page AQEG Report - 11th July 2019. In short, the greater danger facing us is from brake and road wear as vehicles of all sizes accellerate and brake to create damaging PM2.5 and PM10. NEW
- Air pollution - Trial M4 50mph limits made permanent - BBC (21st June 2019)
- Global incidence of asthma related to NOx pollution. BBC. (11th April 2019)
- A Report by Highways England (April 2019) (BBC) confirms that traffic lights on busy roads can make congestion worse across the whole day. The full Report (PDF) - see Page 8, which talks about a "displacement" effect - benefits during rush hours are lost for the rest of the day as natural flows of vehicles are interfered with.
- "More GP Surgeries" - but access to GPs in Swale is at the bottom of the national provision of community healthcare (BBC).
- Guardian articles
- May 17th 2019 - "Pollution affects all organs".
- "2017 - Early 40 million people live in UK areas with illegal air pollution"
- "2017 - Diesel cars emit 10 times more toxic pollution than trucks and buses, data shows"
- USA Government website on air pollution measurement.
- July 8th 2019 - "Birmingham's toxic air 'cuts half a year off children's lives'"
- Independent articles
- Daily Telegraph
- March 12th 2019 - "Air pollution killing nearly as many people as smoking in Britain"
- June 17th 2019: "What Is Pollution Really Doing to Your Brain?"
- The Times "Clean Air For All" Campaign articles:-
- May 8th 2019 - "Clean Air Act would give everyone the human right to an unpolluted atmosphere" - An idea!
- May 8th 2019 - "Air pollution fight: School Streets plan targets parents who leave car engines running" - Solihull takes the fight to drivers near schools and idling engines
- LEADING ARTICLE - May 10 2019 - "The Times view on fighting air pollution: Dirty Politics"
- May 10th 2019 - "Thousands face air pollution cancer risk living by motorways".
- May 14th 2019 - "Instant fines for idling drivers ‘would send message about pollution".
- May 20th 2019 - "Growing concern among families about dirty air."
- May 20th 2019 - "Traffic pollution can make children more anxious, study finds".
- May 24th 2019 - "Scientists call for pollution warning on air fresheners."
- June 5th 2019 - "Air pollution is violation of human rights, says UN"
- June 10th 2019 - "Tax toxic tyres that pollute air"
- June 13th 2019 - "Turn off engine or face parking ban, coach drivers told"
- June 14th 2019 - "Failure to cut air pollution could land politicians in court, warns UN health expert"
- June 15th 2019 - "Tory leadership hopefuls Stewart, Hunt and Gove vow legal right to clean air"
- September 17th 2019 - Soot particles in placenta
- October 12th 2019 - Queen's Speech anticipated item on pollution targets, including PM2.5 (at last!) NEW & UPDATED
- January 5th 2020 - 11% land lost to building urban sprawl over ten years. NEW
- January 13th 2020 - Toxic air will kill 160,000 in the next decade, British Heart Foundation warns. NEW
- Observer articles:-
- June 15th 2019 - "Cracking cheese Gromit" - biogas digesters in Yorkshire
- The Economist articles:-
- October 19th 2019 - "Solo Living Boom: Making Room" - Housing targets being revised downwards. NEW
Electric Vehicle Power socket installation in homes and offices - Government approved lists (June 2019 spreadsheets) - Check before you buy as this list does change from time to time.... Home charging points, workplace charging points.
Nigel's (and others') Thoughts
- Back to School - September 2019 - a collection of school-related issues and ideas.NEW
- Traffic Flow Explained: This page sets out why the shape of the road through Greenstreet matters when it comes to pollution concentrations.
- Diffusion tubes: Understanding the weakness in SBC's use of Nitrogen Dioxide "Diffusion Tubes" instead of continuous monitoring. How "diffusion tubes" hide many intense periods of harmful pollution over one hour and 24 hours (and the whole year). SBC doesn't use multiple diffusion tubes on each post (which may give slightly more accurate results).
- Air Quality: National Air Pollution Control Programme. Latest Government Measures and Targets for emission reduction on the national stage - with legal obligations for 2020 and 2030.